Boy Defined: Nature's answer to the false belief that there is no such thing as perpetual motion.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ryan's Return to Hockey!
Last year, at about this time, Ryan gave up hockey.  While I was disappointed, I knew I had to honour his decision.  If he didn't want to do it, he didn't want to do it.   A good friend of mine assured me that he would return to it in his own time.  I was skeptical, but she was right!  
As spring arrived last year, Ryan wanted to try his Rollerblades in the driveway.  After a short period of time, he started playing with his right skate.  Later he told me his foot hurt.  He then continued that it was "just like his hockey skates". Finally we were getting somewhere.   He had never expressed a reason for not wanting to play before.  Now that he was putting his problem into words, we were able to do something about it... or at least try.   When we went to Nana & Papa's during the summer Ryan started seeing a chiropractor in hopes of getting an insert for his skates.  During this time we learned that the problem was in fact his hip.  With the help of chiropractors on both sides of the boarder, his problem was solved. 
When the time came to sign up for hockey I offered to register him and he declined.  So, that was that... or so I thought.  This past December, after months of going to Sean's games without complaint, I noticed a sad face on Ryan.  I don't know what made me ask, but I asked if he wished he played on a team too.  To my surprise he said yes.  After further discussion I asked the registrar if he could still join... and that was that... he would begin in January!
I decided he should go to a practice before playing a game, as his skating skills are behind the other kids.  However, he let me know that he didn't agree... he was ready to start.  So, he played a game first. He had only skated twice since last year and he played the first shift of the game.  It was amazing to watch.  He LOVES it!  He played on Sunday and practiced on Monday... already showing improvement.  By the following game he was walking to the ice like he has been doing it for his entire life. 
Playing the first shift of the game.







At the other end of the ice (playing on the opposite shift), Sean was playing .
#11





Papa Joe watching from the sidelines.


Sean watching Ryan's game from his bench.



Sean displaying great sportsmanship... patting his teammate on the back to congratulate him on his goal.



Look how tired he was!

Ready for Monday night practice.









Click on this picture to get a closer look.  Ryan is looking up at Papa, who is giving him a thumbs up!  Love it!!

Dad and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Ryan progress before our eyes... Uncle Briant was surely smiling down on him:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! Ryan you look like a great player on the ice. Before you know it you will be as good as Sean with more skating and practices working on hockey skills. Keep up the good work.
Sean you are getting better all the time. You are a real inspiration for Ryan. Keep up the good work but above all have fun.

Love,

Papa Joe