Boy Defined: Nature's answer to the false belief that there is no such thing as perpetual motion.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Sean's Horse Show
Sean has been taking summer classes at the museum again this year. He has always enjoyed going, but this year especially. A couple of weeks ago he too Fishing FUNdamentals, two weeks ago he learned about Nebraska Outlaws (like Jesse James) he even became an outlaw with a real hideout and scoping out places to rob in railroad town... until the Marshall caught up with them on Friday! Last week he took Horse 1, the follow-up Cowpokes which he took last summer. He couldn't wait to get there everyday. On the first day he came home with an invitation to his Horse Show on Friday. Grandma, Grandpa, Daddy, Ryan, Brandon and I all attended. I think it reminded Daddy of his days riding horses... although he competed in speed events... so this was a little slow paced for him:)
Sean did a fantastic job, he learned so much in just 5 days! The wind didn't cooperate everyday, so they only rode 3 of the days. On the other days they worked in a classroom, learning about horses, how to behave around them and the names of their parts.
Ryan and Brandon we great audience members... especially considering that it was hot... Mommy forgot snacks and drinks and it was during Brandon's nap! oops

Sean and his classmates met parents outside the barn. Parents were presented with a card with the order of events written on it.

Sean posing with Star before the show. By coincidence, Star was also the name of the horse Daddy used to ride in competitions.
Mounting Star
The first part of the show was horsemanship

Sean had to have Star weave in and out of the white posts


...then he directed her in between the two logs
....had her stop and back out again (she is actually backing up in this pic)
...they continued toward the audience
...then he led her into this square
...where he had her turn in a complete circle and move out
... finally he returned to the starting place where the next rider brought the bucket to help him down.
Grandma, Grandpa, Brandon and Daddy in the audience (Ryan is sitting in between Grandpa and Daddy)
Mounting Star for the "trick" portion of the show
I don't recall what all of the tricks were, but I do know that Sean loved this part. He was giggling through the whole thing.
Riding Side Saddle or it may have been Around the World
This is the trick Sean made up. He had a "gun fight" while riding backwards and ended with "dead rider" I'm glad I was able to capture this part ... he was laughing so hard he didn't stay down long!
As always, we are proud of you Sean. You are fearless when it comes to trying new things.


Such a handsome, yet mischevious looking guy
Brandon was playing peek-a-boo with Grandma
There she is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Sean now you look like a cowboy riding the horse. I was only on a real horse once but all he wanted to do was eat grass and I couldn't get him to move. Maybe they didn't give me the keys to get him started.
The only horses I rode that went anywhere just went in circles - it was the merry-go-round.
Perhaps when I come down we can find a place where we could ride a horse.

Love,

Papa joe