Boy Defined: Nature's answer to the false belief that there is no such thing as perpetual motion.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sean and Ryan Are Going To Be Big Brothers... and now they know!!
With my doctor's appointment and ultra sound coming up this Friday, and the plan being to take Sean, we figured it was time to let the boys in on our good news!   
Sunday at lunch we told Sean (Ryan was still feeling sick and preferred to watch TV vs. listening to us talk) that something wonderful was going to be happening in our family.  Naturally, he was very excited and wanted to know what.   We then asked him if he had noticed anything different about Mommy lately.   He thought about it... no.   I sat back in order to exaggerate my ever expanding belly.... he thought some more... "A baby?  Are you going to have a baby?"   He was giddy with excitement the whole time.   I read somewhere that kids reactions to this news can be priceless and should be videotaped.  If only I had taken that advice...   
Immediately, he wanted to know if he could name the baby.   I told him we would think about it.   We also told him that we would be going to see my doctor on Friday, to check on the baby, and he could come if he wanted.  Of course he wanted to.   Not much was said after that and he carried on about his business.   A while later he came into the kitchen to sweep (what a helper).  I thought, surely he has more on his mind, so I told him that if he has any questions at anytime to ask.   Well, out it came...  Can you hear the baby cry in there?  (No the baby saves that until they are out!)  Will it hurt you or the baby when we check on them?   If it is a girl, then I will know who I am going to marry!    Mommy, maybe you should name the baby,  because I don't know.   How does the doctor get the baby out?  (dodged that one for the time being... any suggestions on simple yet sufficient answers?)   Next I asked him if he wanted to call Nana and Papa and tell them his good news... just ask Nana about that one!   Nana reminded him about the doll Mommy and Daddy got him before Ryan was born and he tore off to get it.  "She" has since been named January and he is taking very good care of her... every once  in a while!  Later, I showed him the pictures from the first ultra sound, so he would have an idea what he would be seeing.  I didn't want him picturing a baby on a high definition t.v show!   He listened intently as I described what he was seeing in the picture.  He then took the picture to Daddy and explained it to him.
Sunday night before bed Sean stopped in his tracks and said "Mommy I almost forgot, you're going to have  baby!"  Excitement all over again!  On Monday morning, when I came into the kitchen Sean looked at me and announced "Mommy, you kept your baby in!"  Yes, Sean I think I'll keep it in a while longer!  I had a meeting in the afternoon, so the boys went to Grandma and Grandpa's house.  Sean was only too excited to share the news with them also.  He told them he gets to go to the doctor on Friday to watch the baby on TV!
Ryan, being the younger of the two will take longer for it to settle in.   His first reaction when Sean mentioned a baby to him was... "baby!  I no baby, I big boy!"  He has now started mentioning a baby in Mommy's tummy from time to time.  It's getting in and he seems okay with it.
Keep watching for the big update after Friday's appointment.  The boys will be spending Friday and Saturday night at Grandma and Grandpa's as we head to Omaha for a break/Christmas shopping.  I'll try to bring my laptop... if not...hang in there until Sunday night!


Look at the excitement/pride on Big Brother's face!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean , thank you for that exciting phone call on Sunday.
Having a new baby in the family is so special for all of us!
You look like you are going to be a really helpful big brother to the new baby.
Your doll makes for good practice, eh Sean??

That cute exciting smile on your face expresses your feelings very well!
Love, Nana xoxo